Monday, October 19, 2009

That Mom


Emma Ray is playing her fourth season of soccer. Much to my surprise, she picked soccer over dancing and singing this year. Just when I think I have her all figured out, she goes and changes things up on me. Being a sports enthusiast, I must say I was secretly very happy she picked soccer!

I try my very hardest to not be "that" mom. You know, the one that is screeming from the sidelines? My competetive nature sometimes rears its ugly head, and I holler. I just try to make it a "positive" comment. It is a difficult thing to remain somewhere in the middle. I would like to be somewhere in between the mom that is harshly yelling at her poor child, and the totally out of touch mom that doesn't have a clue.

Tonight I witnessed a mother yell at her child and loudly scream at her to "shut up". It made my skin crawl to hear this. I was filled with sorrow and embarassment for the little girl. I bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut. Anyone that knows me knows how extremely difficult this is for me. I am continually praying for God to put a gate over my mouth. Fortunately he was in the business of answering my prayer tonight.

I had almost made up my mind that I would politely and discretely ask the mother to refrain from screaming "shut up" so loudly that the entire soccer complex could hear. I thought I might even tell her that we don't use those words at our house, and I would appreciate her not using them either. In the end, I lost my nerve, and left the field feeling helpless. I just hope I am never "that mom".

No comments:

Post a Comment